Young Composers Competition 2016-2017
Pacific Chorale invites American composers under the age of 35 to submit unperformed choral works for consideration in our 2016-2017 Young Composers Competition. Submissions should be 3-6 minutes in length, for mixed voices, divisi up to SSAATTBB, a cappella or with accompaniment for piano, on text(s) by American poets.
The winner will receive:
- An $800 prize
- A public performance of your composition by Pacific Chorale's John Alexander Singers
- A recording of the public performance
To be considered for the competition, all submissions must be postmarked by October 15, 2016. Only choral works will be considered.
The winning composition will be premiered during the John Alexander Singers' American Voices concert on April 8, 2017.
- Composer must be a U.S. Citizen
- Composer must be under the age of 35 as of April 8, 2017
- Be willing to travel to Orange County, CA during the week of April 2-9, 2017 (domestic airfare and accommodations will be provided)
Compositions must be:
- Not previously performed
- For mixed chamber chorus, divisi up to SSAATTBB
- A cappella or with accompaniment for piano
- 3-6 minutes in length
- Text(s) by American poets. (Composers are expected to secure and present evidence of performing rights to the text used.)
Please read the following instructions carefully:
All submissions are to be sent via email to email@example.com.
E-mail submission deadline: October 15, 2016 by 11:59 p.m. PDT
All submissions should include the following attachments:
- Completed application form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1lU4l8IRIFpX3hTN043SXI0U0k/view
- Your professional résumé
- PDF version of your submitted piece WITHOUT your name listed on the document.
(This is to keep all submissions anonymous for the judges)
- Your application fee of $25, submitted by check or credit card.
For more information, contact Molly Pontin by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.